Wednesday, 27 June 2007

Meltdown? I’ll say…

Posted by shonatiger

From my post on topics192.blogspot.com

Take me, a (supposed) professional: if I worked in government, I would just about afford to pay for my transport to and from work, and not have too much left over for things like food and rent. (As you know, I’m not working). When I left Zimbabwe (three months ago I went travelling, lucky me someone bought me a ticket) bread was $850 (shocking in itself); when I got back here three weeks ago, it cost $30,000 (yes, per loaf). Now it costs $45,000. The government has just asked retailers to cut their prices, so of course goods have disappeared off the shelves. Yesterday was walking about town, looking for apple cider vinegar (for a cake I make), went downtown and there were informal (and illegal) traders selling stuff like cooking oil, sugar, toothpaste etc… They don’t sit and sell; they are always on their feet, watching for possible raids (because they of course don’t have licences). The black market is absolutely flourishing here, and most people with access to cash have resigned themselves to buying things on the black market, although the prices are shocking. The price of fuel per litre is pegged against the US dollar, and the last rate was 1USD is equivalent to ZD$300,000. Imagine what that does to prices in a landlocked country…. Inflation is currently about 5,000 %, but some people say it will top 1,500,000 by year end..

My rent was increased from ZD$200,000 to $2,700,000… The breadwinner in my family earns $400,000.. ha, ha. And yet we are actually upper middle class here... You see streams of people walking to and from work, hardly anyone uses public transport anymore… And as for pensioners, honestly their plight is absolutely desperate. My grandfather’s pension is probably about $5,000 per month (doesn’t even buy bread). Most are just hanging in there… Many are starving.

0 comments :

Post a Comment