Thursday, 15 March 2007

A perfect day.

Posted by shonatiger

I have been so lazy about blogging, lately, but there is a very good reason for this: I am traveling. I am so very blessed to have been given a ticket to the other side of the world (yes, GIVEN); and here I am in Melbourne, Australia!

My first feelings on getting here were a mixture of a sort of feeling of anticlimax (I thought the First World was very much more different- it isn’t, really), and a kind of banked excitement because I was finally here, after a rather difficult journey. But yesterday really helped give Melbourne the high regard I now have for it, because we took the tourists’ tour proper. Went into the city, walked about a bit (the most interesting part of that would be the shops, except I am not very interested in shops- clothes are clothes everywhere, and I love fashion but only to buy it, really); and then we went up the Rialto Tower, and saw Melbourne from over 200m above the ground. And so I got my very first view of the ocean (o deprived landlocked African that I used to be), which wasn’t saying much because of the smog, but still… Thrilling. And really, Melbourne is a very pretty city, along the lines of Pretoria (for those who know), and I’m told a little like Cape Town. From up there, the view of the bay is pretty splendid, even with the smog. So that was something…

Then we went along South Bank, my favorite part of the whole day. It’s really lovely, strolling along the Yarra River (which is awfully murky, but doesn’t smell). It’s the kind of place where I’d hang out all the time. And of course the weather’s been JUST right for me, the African who’s so used to searing sunshine and blue skies. A perfect day.

Also staying in a very pretty part of Melbourne, with what I’m told are Californian bungalows- yeah, whatever, they’re very pretty! I remember thinking yesterday that no matter what else happens on this trip (and it started out very badly, I assure you- I spent two nights in an airport, and the turbulence coming over was nothing to laugh at)- I am so very blessed to have had such a perfect day.

2 comments :

Becky Wolfe said...

Hope I'm not commenting twice - first one seems to have gotten lost in cyber space!

Congrats on your over-seas travel. I have not been to Australia yet but have heard it is wonderful.

Enjoy the city. Are you getting out to the countryside as well? To get away from the smog? All big cities seem to have smog...guess thats why I like living in a beautiful small town in the mountains. Clean fresh air without smog!

Hope each day you're there is as wonderful as today. What a great adventure!

shonatiger said...

thank u Becky! have been out to the country once, not too far from here, will be going back out soon. you are lucky to be in the mountains- that's always where my heart is, the mountains. i will be posting pix of melbourne soon, so look out for them :) it's a pretty city.

Post a Comment