Thursday, 7 December 2006

Committing my cause

Posted by shonatiger

1Pe 2:23 who when He was reviled did not revile in return. When He suffered, He did not threaten, but gave Himself up to Him who judges righteously.

I have to keep watch. My pride and arrogance are two traits that get me into the most trouble. I seem to be very prone to loudly protesting my innocence, and not just loudly but often in the most obnoxious way possible. Too often I am not completely innocent; in fact, you can be sure that the louder I get, the more guilty I am.

So the greatest challenge in my life at the minute is to learn to be as Jesus was. How could He go so silently, knowing He was innocent? The clue seems to be in the second part of that verse- He “gave Himself up” to God. That word is “paradidomi”, in Greek, which means to surrender, that is, yield up, intrust, transmit: - betray, bring forth, cast, commit, deliver (up), give (over, up), hazard, put in prison, recommend. (Strong’s dictionary)

I find that such a challenge. It’s a matter of trust, of course; to trust that the LORD will reclaim your name and reputation, will in every way justify you. It also means that in the face of fear, to trust that the LORD will deliver you, and make things right. The Lord Jesus had all power in earth and heaven to destroy His persecutors; in fact, He held back one of His disciples (possibly Peter) in the garden, when he sliced the High priest’s servant’s ear off. I mean, how awesome is that! If I had that kind of power, all my enemies, anyone who crossed me, would be toast! (Perhaps that’s why the LORD thought it prudent not to give me such power).

Apparently the LORD will give you your justice, and in just measure. You will end up with exactly what you deserve, not a bit less and probably considerably more than you do. I like to think that means that when I am wronged through no fault of my own, the LORD’s just nature will fight on my behalf. That’s way better than anything I could plan for myself as revenge. But it also means committing everything else in every way, entrusting myself to the Lord, committing my cause to Him (Prov. 16.3). I quite like that idea as well. I’m being looked after. Wow…

1 comments :

shonatiger said...

awesome becky thanks!!

Post a Comment